Sunday, February 27, 2011

Wind? Again?

It is sale day. We started early, watching the sun rise while cleaning up the baby Herefords and their pens. Made a big pot of coffee, sat around the table under the barn with my parents and Pop reading the Sunday paper and drinking coffee out of that big ole’ pot. It was so nice, a little damp, and all you needed was a light jacket.
Right now, the sky is as red as the carpet at the Oscar pre-show I am watching. Wind is blowing at record breaking speeds. The smell of grass fires fill the air and put a heavy worry on everyone’s heart and mind. Once one of those starts on a day like today, it may cross four counties before it slows up. Thanks to all the great firemen who have been at it all day trying to keep the fires under control. A lot of them are volunteer. They put their lives on the line to make sure our families, houses, pastures, cattle and everything else stay safe.
So goes West Texas weather. Beautiful morning and horrendous day and night.  Have you heard that Josh Abbot song, “She’s Like Texas”? There is a line in that songs that says, “her moods change like the weather out in Lubbock.” Every time that song comes on Brandon has to make some smarty-pants comment like, “he ain’t kidding about that”. I assume he is talking about how fast the weather changes in this part of the world and surely not about me and my moods.
The weather was terrible, but at least the sale went good. I've been texting Katie and she said their sale is going great too. Think they are having a shrimp boil there so I figured she’d have a good crowd. Didn’t know how many would be steer buyers and how many would just be shrimp eaters, but sounds like it is going great. I'm so happy for them and my parents. Everyone works so hard this time of year and deserve to have a great time. Sounds like that hard work is paying off, and like I said, they deserve every bit of it.
Maybe there will even be a little shrimp left over for me to snack on tomorrow night. After all, tomorrow is Monday and it is back to Lubbock for me. Going from cleaning steer pens to working at a computer desk. Then it’s chilling with my boys and sis. Catch up talk about the steer sales, hide-and-go-seek, bubble baths, and bed time stories. It is hard to dread Mondays when you’ve got a schedule like that.

Go here. It is Josh Abbott's "She's like Texas". Coming from a green eyed girl that loves her family, (and apparently a little moody) it is fabulous.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSrzYwedIJ0

Some of those boys we chill with.







No comments:

Post a Comment