Monday, February 28, 2011

Reality Check....

I had a reality check last night. It made realize what is truly important in my life.
The orange glow that filled the sky just west of my house kept getting brighter and brighter as the hours passed. I knew the brave men in our community were doing all they could to control the fire raging around them, but if there is ever anything we cannot control, it is nature.
The wind was howling as it blew out of the west, creating a path through our neighbor’s ranch straight to his headquarters and our own house. Brandon joined the forces of our volunteer firemen trying to save as much ranchland as they could, and most importantly Mr. Knox’s house, family and cattle. I was worried about our house, but knew the fire would reach them before it did us and had main concern for the Knox family.
Brandon called to let me know, in his most easing voice, they were keeping the fire controlled, but to get a few of the most important things gathered and loaded in the car just in case. With winds like we had last night, it doesn’t take long for things to go the wrong way fast. I called Mr. Knox’s house to see if they needed any help. All was alright at that time, and I told Mary to call me as soon as she needed anything, greatly hoping she would not have to call back.
I set water sprinklers all around the perimeter of our fence, knowing it wouldn’t do much good if worse came to worse, but it made me feel better. I grabbed some photos, Brandon’s asthma medicine and breathing machine, important documents and was left to look around at how much still filled our little house.
I realized all that was left are only processions. They can be replaced, and when looking at the big picture, are not important at all. I stood in the middle of our living room, looking around and had my reality check. I didn’t care about the TV, couch, or all the beautiful crystal bowls and silver serving dishes still new from our wedding. All I cared about was Brandon; my great friend since kindergarten, Brian; our neighbor, Dusty; and all the other young men with young families fighting what had to be a hot, scary, horrible fight.
Thankfully these great men saved Mr. Knox’s house, they saved my house, and most importantly they made it back to their own families unharmed. I know others were not as lucky. Some are waking up to the realization that their homes are gone. Where memories have been made for years are mere ashes today. I pray for those families. I can only imagine how hard it must be, but hopefully they have ease of mind that although processions are gone, the people they love are safe and those memories they made in their loving homes will always live on in their hearts and minds.    

No comments:

Post a Comment