Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Where the Cowboy Rides Away.......

Mom broke it to me this morning the world is now short one more great cowboy.

I’m not talking about the weekend ropers with their fancy trailers and fancier boots. I’m talking about the cowboys that wake up before the sun. They drink their coffee and saddle their horse before most of us have even left our bed, and ride off into a dew covered field to check the herd. Their hands and faces are as worn as the ole’ boots on their feet, and their hats have seen more rain and snow than boxes or brushes.

Rex George was one of these great cowboys. He taught me to trot, lope, open a gate without getting off my horse, rope a mohair goat, and then ride it with all I got. My feet may have barely reached the stirrups, but he made me feel like I filled my saddle out as well as anybody.

Rex was a great cowboy, and a greater man. No matter how early the morning, late the night, bad the weather, or ornery the cow, he was smiling and patient. He knew all his horses as well as the back of his hand, and amazed me each day I watched him, and especially Old Yella, move in perfect synchronization as they worked cattle or goats.

The world could use more great cowboys like Rex. They may not be soft on the outside, but their hearts are as warm and soft as it gets. They respect their families, land, and God like all men should, but few men do, and find wealth in things that don’t cost a dime.

This may be where the cowboy Rex George rides away, but he will remain in my heart and memories forever. Thanks, Rex, it was a great ride.  -Sam

Some of the Great Cowboys & Horses We've got to Photograph:








No comments:

Post a Comment