Monday, March 7, 2011

My Lady Lucks


These two young ladies are my great-grandmothers. How cool is that? I still have two great-grandmothers in my life. They are about as different as salt and pepper, but like that combination, they create great flavor to our family.

Granny, my mom’s grandmother, is about as feisty as a 93-year-old can get. Let me give you a mental picture here. About five years ago, about Christmas Eve, she decided she needed her some scotch for her little night cap. She hoped in her town car, drove down the street, and whipped into Pinkies. Now remember, this is a classy lady who still puts on her white satin driving gloves when she grabs the wheel. Well, as she pulled into the liquor store, she was followed by some flashing lights.

Mr. Policeman had no idea what he was getting himself in to. She asked him just what exactly did he think he was doing. He explained that she was not in the turning lane when she turned at the light. Oh man, did she ever set him straight. I believe there was a “listen here, young man” and a “I’ve been driving for more than double the years you have even been alive” several more minutes of lining out and finally a “now if you will excuse me, I am going to get my scotch so that I can make it home in time for my television programs.”

I am sure the young policeman was overwhelmed, and more so thinking “what is a woman your age driving around on Christmas Eve buying scotch?” Despite her argument, she got a ticket.

That, however, is not the end of the story. Granny was so mad at that “little stinker” for giving her a ticket that she took it to court, spent hours at the library researching her case, defended herself…..and won. I was not present in the courtroom when the judge made his decision, but I am guessing it was more of a throwing his arms in the air and “fine lady, good grief, whatever. Just get out of here,” type of ruling.

Granny says all that happened in her eighties, she’s slowed down a tick since then. Yeah, right.

Mamaw Jack is my dad’s grandmother. She has lived in the middle of a cotton field her whole life. Enjoyed raising four beautiful daughters, who went on to have several children of their own, who went on to have several children of their own, who went on to have several children of their own. Mamaw has more great-great-grandchildren than most people even have grandkids. Her family is huge, and she is our rock.

She still lives in the little house she raised her four girls in, and come Christmas time, we hope for good weather because somebody is going to have to stand outside. There is just not enough room. I wish I knew the exact number of grandkids, great-grandkids and great-great-grandkids Mamaw has. It’s awesome.

Every Christmas, she stands up in the middle of us all and announces, “I may not have much money, but my family makes me the richest lady in the world.” Every year. And every year it makes me cry.

Mamaw turned 92 last week. She still sits in Wildcat Gym to watch her great-grandkids play basketball while eating her baked potato. She may not yell as loud as she once did, but nonetheless, she’s still in the stands cheering us on.  
Granny & Mamaw at my wedding. So special.

Granny's 92nd Birthday. Still loving her sweets.

Ryder loves his sugars, too.

Mamaw at my bridal shower.
Mamaw's hands say it all. 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post! The photo of her hands is breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam, you are so lucky to have 2 such great great grandmothers. I don't know your granny to well, but your Mamaw Jack is one special lady to me. I love the picture of her hands and you tell her I think they are beautiful. Give her a big hug from me.

    ReplyDelete