Thursday, February 24, 2011

Windy, Windy West TX

I woke this morning to a gorgeous day. Went for my morning run where all those people that must think I stay with my parents an awful lot and really need to work on my marriage passed me by, honked and waved. I even had the occasional slow down and comment "Where's the bear? Well why the heck are you running if there's no bear chasing you?"  Hilarious.

Got back to the house, changed shoes and went to blow out babies and clean pens. One of my fabulous friends (not going to name names but she is having a baby in a couple months that I am totally psyched about), anyway, her husband and another guy stopped by to look at the Herfs and then..........it hit. That West TX wind that all of us out here know too well. After deciding the poor babies would only turn into mud balls if we tried washing them, Mom and I let them all back out in the pen.

So I spent the rest of the morning doing my computer geek thing. I got a text from another one of my fabulous friends who just got engaged (woohoo!) and will be needing pictures, save the dates, invites, the whole works. Cannot wait to do those! I also got a lovely lady's save the dates and silver metallic envelopes ordered, as well as worked on invites for a spectacular couple getting married on her family's ranch in Missouri. Pretty cool, cannot wait to see pics of that.

After the fun girly stuff, I decided to do some of that job I told you about earlier. You know, the one that pays the bills and provides benefits. I finished up a layout on a corn farmer I visited in Stratford, which is WAY up there in TX. I think the wind blows there too, only its colder. Which means I could not live there. Like being alone, I do not do cold weather. Mr. Corn Farmer was cool as a cucumber. Drove me around all day, introduced me to some of his working guys, and let me snap pictures like a crazy person.

That's a lot of what my real job is. Riding around with farmers shooting the bull and taking pictures. I know, rough, right? I feature one a month in this little thing we call Competing for Profit (http://www.aaec.ttu.edu/acc/CompetingForProfit.php) It isn’t huge, but several past stories are getting published as a book and it gets read by several eyes. My next issue is on Roger, who my ears have a crush on because of his English accent. Super interesting guy. One of those that makes you step back and go, “Wow, my life really isn’t that busy after all.”

I need that every once in a while. A glimpse into someone else’s world who is a go getter and does great things for great people. It makes me try harder and push myself. And who better to do great things for than farmers and ranchers? Without them we wouldn’t have steaks to eat at Salt Grass or clothes to buy at Wild Oats. Pretty sure I would not like that at all 

 Nothing tells a story better than a farmer's hands.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some of the Amazing Love Birds we have got to Picture.









No comments:

Post a Comment