Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Farm Chicks.....

Mom and I finally had a free Saturday and a few veggies ready to do what she has been wanting to do for years, have a booth at the farmer's market. We picked the veggies, loaded up her Tahoe, and off we went to sell our goodies. We were hoping to not have to carry a bunch back home and pawning off lettuce and carrotts to everyone we know. That, however, was no worry.

The farmer's market starts at 9:00am. Mom went to get a few more small bills and change for our little cash bag, just in case. She got back at about 9:10, and I had sold ALL the squash and zuchini and about all of the lettuce and carrots, which were gone by 9:30. The only thing that took until 11:30 to sell out of were the beets, and tons of people stopped by and said they'd never even tasted a beet (which is why we are going to have a little tasting bowl of it next time). We were so excited and fired up now.

We came home and Mom started watering and I planted more squash at my house. We had the best time visiting with people and were busy little bees bundling and packaging all the veggies up as people stood in line to purchase our goodies. It feels good to be in such high demand. :)

 
Momma at our booth, after we sold out of almost everything.


My bell pepper, I couldn't save them from the wind in our garden so I decided to baby them in pots.

Yes, he is useful.

Our Cherry Tomatoes!! I'm so excited about these. EVERYONE that came to
our booth wanted tomatoes. They're going to be our cash crop :)

Ryder and I ate a honeydew melon the other day and planted the seeds out of it.
We weren't exactly consistant, but hey, they came up so I'm thrilled!

I will be babying these......

.......and these.
And after a great morning we got to top it off with some cuties and a great evening!


And now for part two of my story. I came to the decision to get rid of the rabbits yesterday and the above contraption just wasn't doing the trick. Usually the coyotes do our rabbit hunting for us, but since they are laying down on the job it came to taking manners into my own hands. My mom gave me a shirt not too long ago that says "Raised with Good 'Ole Southern Values. Shoot it, Stuff it, or Marry it."

So I did what any classy southern woman would do. I put on my flipflops and best straw hat, grabbed my .22 and went rabbit hunting....in my front yard. I hated to get rid of those rabbits, but I had spent way too much time and money on my flowers and garden to have them eating my blooms and digging holes in my mulch. And let's just say I am a pretty good aim.

Evidently my geraniums were Sunday brunch.




 
Dang bugs seem to like my pretty flowers too. Guess I'll have to get my spray gun after them.

No comments:

Post a Comment