Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The big ONE....


365 days ago I was waiting on somewhere around the fourth floor of a Lubbock hospital. I had called the back couch in the corner and was doing my best to ignore the gaps between the three seats as I lay across them in an attempt to be comfortable. I remember Dad and Ricky flipping through the TV channels and making a comment that you can buy anything at 1:00 in the morning. Mom and Cindy visited, and I don’t remember for sure but I would think it’s safe to say Mom had whipped out her stitching or knitting to pass the time.
Then, much like the first time, Rusty nonchalantly walked in, hands in his pockets, and said, “Well, he’s here.” I bet we hadn’t been there thirty-minutes! We went in to see the healthy Momma and baby and I can remember thinking he was SO tiny. Right over 6 pounds and perfect.
That little skinny baby has come a long way in his one year of life. He attended his first steer show at two weeks old, walked down the aisle of my wedding, toughed out the coldest Fort Worth I can remember, and most importantly, has learned several defense techniques to survive and keep up with his big brother.
I can’t wait to watch Riggin grow and his personality come out more. While they have their similarities, he and Ryder are already really different in many ways. No doubt he is his own little man, and I’m pretty sure those wrestling matches Ryder starts today may be finished by Riggs later on. Even at one he is tough and holds his own. He has a ‘bring it on’ attitude and his older brother has an endless imagination. No doubt they will get into mischief and cause their momma and daddy some trouble, providing great entertainment for us.
So here’s to you, Riggs. Happy Birthday, we love ya!!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment